Romance and small gestures are the super glue that hold a relationship together, and that keep the flame burning bright. Remind your partner they are special so you don’t slowly fall into roommate syndrome or begin to drift apart.
Happy couples don’t postpone romance to exotic vacations that may never even happen. They remind each other that they are loved in small, consistent ways every single day. The key to creating these successful gestures is to think about your partner and what they want, not what you would like them to do for you.
Here are 14 examples to get you started:
1. Find out what they’re reading and start reading along.
2. Pick up their favorite dessert on a weeknight.
3. Ask what you can do to help lighten their load (It might not be what you think it is.)
4. Ask them what you can do to help them feel more loved.
5. Spontaneously offer to give them a day to themselves that they can spend ANY WAY THEY WANT.
6. Find an online couple’s quiz to take together to discuss your answers. Here are some to try out:
Which Superhero Couple Are You?
7. Brush Up on Your Empathy Skills (Hint: listen to your partner as if your life depends on it. Don’t give advice. Don’t try to solve the problem. This is sexier than a bubble bath lined with rose petals and champagne.)
8. Plan a date night from start to finish. (Hint: It’s not just the date, it’s everything that goes into the logistics of setting up the date, including child or pet care, making reservations, and looking closely at all the different calendars to check for conflicts.)
9. Ask your partner what’s on their bucket list and start to brainstorm how to make their dreams come true.
10. Send a flirty emoji text in the middle of the day
11. Replace the peck on the lips with a lover’s kiss every day when you say goodbye
12. Don’t be afraid to be traditional. Chocolates and flowers are a great go-to mid-week surprise.
13. Suggest getting together with a friend or family member you don’t really like that much (but who is an important person in your partner’s life).
14. Say “I don’t know. What do you think?” five times before going to bed tonight.
Leave a comment if you can think of more ideas to add to this list! The best part about offering romantic gestures to your partner is that they are fun for both of you.