Free Courses for Couples Who Are Passionate About Relational Health and Happiness
Empathy Training Video Series
Empathy Made Easy: Mini Course for Couples is a free online training that walks you through the Ultimate Empathy Flowchart, a step-by-step process guiding you in providing comfort when your partner is in distress.
Empathy is the super glue that holds relationships together. It is a teachable skill, but more than just listening. You’ll learn the biggest mistake most people make when trying to empathize and what to do instead.
Listening as if your life depends on it makes you both feel more connected and understood. You deserve to feel more like a team and less like adversaries.
This free course is available at Relationship Academy.
Length: 3 Short Lessons ~15 Minutes Listen
BONUS: Recording of Communication Ground Rules Webinar
Stop Gottman’s First Two Horsemen
Here is a condensed clip of a webinar presented by The Gottman Institute webinar series:
In this webinar: Fight Fair and Repair Successfully, Laura Silverstein, LCSW reviews how to tame the first two of John Gottman’s Four Horsemen (Criticism and Defensiveness are much more common than Stonewalling and Contempt).
Destructive communication styles tear down relationships one conversation at a time. Criticism and defensiveness usually gallop together in a familiar attack/defend cycle. Both partners try desperately to express themselves, and neither feel heard or understood. It is not surprising that the research indicates that these communications lead to relationship dissatisfaction and even divorce.
But we don’t need to fear defensiveness and criticism as if they are the end of the world (or end of a relationship) as the name “Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse” suggests. Thankfully, since it is the most common fight pattern, relationship researchers have prioritized learning how to help couples escape the attack/defend cycle. Couples therapists teach their clients what to do instead, and you can now see behind the confidential therapy doors with this free communication video course.
Free Communication Course for Couples: How to Stop Gottman’s Four Horsemen
In this 20-minute training, you will learn the following:
- The tried and true communication formula created by world-renown relationship psychologist Dr. John Gottman
- Why criticism and defensiveness are the most common of Gottman’s Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
- Exactly how to escape the attack/defend cycle once you’re in it
- How to avoid entering the attack/defend process in the first place
- How to quickly re-direct an argument from an endless cycle into a constructive dialogue (so you can solve problems and make decisions quicker)
Free 5-Day Email Course: How to Tame Gottman’s Four Horsemen
Gottman’s Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are:
The Gottmans research showed that these behaviors lead to relationship distress, but the research participants also taught us what to do instead.
All couples have conflict, and conflict is good because we learn and grow when we hear perspectives that are different from our own. If we fear conflict, it has more destructive power.
But when we welcome sophisticated dialogues, we understand the world with deeper complexity. The world would do better if world leaders developed better skills when it comes to talking about different opinions and values, but the best place to start practicing these skills is in the home.
Free Email Course and Printable Handouts for Couples
In this 5-Day email course, you’ll receive an email directly into your inbox every day with a different solution to the four biggest communication problems couples suffer from:
- Understand How John Gottman Defines each of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
- Learn the Four Antidotes (alternative solutions) to Each of the Four Horsemen
- Receive Emails that You Can Share with Your Partner to Practice the New Skills Together
- Print Out Bonus Gottman Communication Worksheets for Easy Access
- Optional: Stay on the Email List to Learn from a Certified Gottman Therapist Every Single Friday with Action-Oriented Relationship Self-Help Tips
Sign Up Now to Learn How to Speak Your Truth with Kindness